10 STA, 3 Armor, 18 KRA, 4 TEK, 18 THU, spikey ail (d20, automatic fail against Critical Damage)
- Monstrous colossal sea-dragon, the size of a ship.
- Attacks ships by smashing them with its fan-like tail.
- Its spines, a cubit thick, can pierce a man (instant critical).
7 STA, 18 KRA, 4 TEK, claws (d6), 2x bite (d8), fire-breath (d12)
- Lion’s body, three-heads: of a lion, goat on its back and serpent as tail.
- Uses claws and bites as natural weapons.
- Fire-breathing creature, it can melt metal. Invulnerable to external attacks.
6 STA, 1 Armor, 15 TEK, rocks and branches (d6)
- Primitive half-man, half-horse savages who inhabit mountains and forests.
- Armed with rocks and tree branches.
- Galloping can crush the enemies.
7 STA, 14 KRA, 12 THU, claws (d6), poisonous bites (d8)
- The gigantic, three-headed hound of Hades which guards the gates of the underworld.
- Serpent’s tail, mane of snakes, and a lion’s claws. It uses them as natural weapons.
- Save vs KRA if the PC is bitten by a snake of the mane. Failure is death.
Dragon of Colchis
10 STA, 2 Armor, bite (d8), tailblow (d10)
- Giant, watchful serpent which guards the Golden Fleece in Colchis.
- Each turn it attacks with bites and a tailblow.
- Its teeth have magical prorties: if seeded they spring Spartoi.
10 STA, 18 KRA, 8 TEK, 12 THU, spear (d8)
- Giant son of Gaia with the tails of serpents in place of legs.
- Spear-wielding hoplite warriors in armour.
- It has a close connection with its mother.
3 STA, 14 THU, petrifying gaze
- Winged women with broad, round heads, serpentine locks of hair, large staring eyes, wide mouths, and lolling tongues.
- They are three sisters named Medusa, Sthenno and Euryale. Only the former is mortal.
- Their gaze petrifies if sustained directly. Save vs TEK to avoid.
4 STA, 12 TEK, claws (d6)
- Beast with the head and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion.
- Fabulous animals which guarded the gold of Asia.
- They are particularly nimble in air while flying.
5 STA, 14 TEK, claws (d6)
- Winged women with ugly faces and the lower bodies of birds.
- They are the hounds of Zeus, despatched to snatch away people and things.
- They are hidden in sudden, sharp gusts of wind.
9 STA, 15 KRA, 18 TEK, 15 THU, burst of bites (d10, automatic fail on saves against Critical Damage).
- Hundred-headed serpent, named Ladon, guarding the golden apples of the Hesperides.
- Ladon attacks only if provoked or if stealing apples is attempted.
- Critical Damage: the target loses a limb, which fuses with the dragon and becomes an additional head.
3 STA, 12 TEK, hoof (d6)
- Fish-tailed horses of the sea, adult-form of the “sea-horse”.
- Mounts of Nereid nymphs. Poseidon’s chariot is drawn by them.
- Very nimble in water and hard to hit while swimming.
8 STA, 18 KRA, 8 TEK, 12 THU, club (d10)
- Primitive, one-eyed giants who dwelt in caves and herded flocks of sheep on the island of Hypereia.
- Born from the blood of the castrated Uranus spilt upon the earth.
- The biggest threat is their large size and strength.
10 STA, 2 Armor, 1 bite x head (or Blast Damage) (d8), Tailblow (d10)
- Gigantic, nine-headed water-serpent, which haunts the swamps of Lerna.
- If 3 or more heads survives it attacks with a single d8 Blast Damage.
- For every decapitated head, two grow if not cauterized.
8 STA, 14 KRA, 12 TEK, 12 THU, horns (d8)
- Bull-headed man born to Queen Pasiphae of Krete.
- Cannibal resident of the Crete Labyrinth.
- It will charge the opponent with its horns trying to impale it.
4 STA, 14 TEK, hoof (d6)
- Immortal, winged horse.
- Makes the rider fast and uncatchable.
- Impossible to engage in melee if in air.
10 STA, 18 TEK, 8 THU, poisonous bites (d8)
- Monstrous dragon-serpent set by Gaia to guard the sacred oracle of Delphi.
- Immune to melee attacks.
- Poison will cause excruciating pain, as live fire through the veins.
3 STA, 12 THU
- Rustic fertility spirits of the countryside and wilds.
- Animalistic men with asinine ears, pug noses, reclining hair-lines, the tails of horses.
- Their partners are Nymphs and they are companions of the gods Dionysus, Hermes and Pan.
4 STA, 18 THU, bewitching song (see below)
- Monstrous sea-nymphs with lower body of birds and the upper bodies of women.
- They lure sailors to their death with a bewitching song.
- The lyre song can stop them.
10 STA, 2 Armor, 14 KRA, 8 TEK, 12 THU, jaws (d10)
- Sea-monster who haunts the rocks of a narrow strait opposite the whirlpool of Kharybdis.
- She has twelve dangling feet, six long necks and grisly heads lined with a triple row of sharp teeth.
- Ships who sail too close to her rocks will lose men to her ravenous, darting heads.
6 STA, 14 TEK, claws (d6)
- Female monster with the body of a lion, the head and breast of a woman, and eagle’s wings.
- Sent by the gods to plague the town of Thebes as punishment for some ancient crime.
- She preying on the youths and devouring all who failed to solve her riddle.
3 STA, 12 TEK
- Fish-tailed man, sea equivalent of Satyros.
- Plurification of the god Triton.
- Generally peaceful, invulnerable in water.
Note: where it is not specified the attribute is equal to 10
Use the following template to model any more sophisticated Monster or NPC:
Name X STA, X Armor, X KRA, X TEK, X THU, Weapon (dX, special items, qualities)
- Engaging descriptor of appearance or demeanor.
- Quirk, tactic, or peculiarity making this NPC unique.
- Special effect or critical damage consequence.
Ability Scores: 3 is deficient, 6 is weak, 10 is average, 14 is noteworthy, and 18 is legendary. Adjust as necessary.
- Give average creatures 3 STA, give hardy ones 6 STA, and serious threats get 10+ STA.
- Use flavor and style to help them stand out. Players will remember a pig-faced humanoid looking for his missing sheep more easily than a generic goblin archer.
- Use critical damage to lean into the threat or strangeness of any aggressive NPC.
- Remember that STA is Hit Protection , not Hit Points. It’s a measure of resilience, luck, and gumption - not health.
Converting from OSR Games
- Give 1 STA per HD for most creatures.
- Most humanoids have at least 4HP.
- Morale can also be used as a baseline.
- Is it good at avoiding a hit? Give it STA.
- Does it soak up damage? Give it Armor.
- Is it strong? Give it a high KRA.
- Is it nimble? Give it high TEK.
- Is it charismatic? Give it high THU.
Damage die are roughly the same, though armed attacks do at least 1d6 damage.